Cleaning baby bottle nipples can be pretty difficult and time-consuming task. But with the right baby bottle nipple tools, you can easily clean your baby’s bottle nipples in no time. In this blog, you will learn How to Clean Cloudy Baby Bottle Nipples with the help of different methods.
How to Clean Cloudy Baby Bottle Nipples
“How do I clean my baby’s bottles?” is a question that many parents find themselves asking. If your baby has been drinking from the same bottle all day, it can get rather cloudy and gross-looking. Luckily there are many different ways how to clean cloudy baby bottle nipples, some of which might be better for the material than others.
Cloudy Baby Bottles – How Do I Avoid Them?
One of the most common issues parents face with their baby bottles is cloudy bottles. Cloudy bottles can be caused by a variety of factors, such as how the bottle was cleaned, how often it was cleaned, how the milk was stored, or how old the milk is.
There are a few ways to avoid cloudy baby bottles.
- One way is to clean the bottle frequently and properly. This includes soaking the nipple in a baking soda and water mixture for 10 minutes, scrubbing with a toothbrush, and rinsing with water.
- You can also boil the nipple for 2 minutes and then rinse with water before letting it dry on a clean dishcloth.
- Empty the bottle and let it dry completely. Fill the bottle with very hot water, and let it sit for a couple hours (or overnight) to soften the deposits.
A few more good things to know:
- Rinse bottles with very hot water after every use, and let them air dry.
- Don’t use hot water from the tap: let it cool first.
- Don’t boil bottles in the microwave.
Why Do Baby Bottle Nipples Become Cloudy?
The cause of baby bottle nipples becoming cloudy is bacteria. When milk or formula sits in the nipple for an extended period of time, it will become thick and cloudy. This can be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause illness in your child. It is important to clean your baby’s bottle nipples often and properly to prevent this from happening. There are different reasons for baby nipples becomes cloudy that’s way you can avoid these to keep clean your Baby Bottle:
Cleaning and Washing of Baby Bottles:
This normally happens when you do not wash the bottles properly or when you use harsh dishwashing liquid. You will have to wash the bottles three times to get rid of the chemicals in the dishwashing liquid. Also, make sure that you do not wash the bottles with your dishes. You should always wash them separately. Also, make sure that the bottles are not exposed to sunlight. The more you expose them to sunlight, the more they will get cloudy.
Baby Formula and Proteins
When milk fat and proteins build up in baby bottles they will appear cloudy. The milkfat and proteins that are in milk are what are causing the milk to become cloudy. Milk is a very complex substance. Milk contains many complex proteins that are good for a baby. These proteins help a baby develop a stronger immune system and improve their eyesight. However, these proteins become a problem when they start to stick together. When these proteins stick together, the milk fat becomes microscopic clumps that are smaller than a drop of milk. These clumps are what make the milk cloudy.
Material of baby Bottle & Nipple:
Plastic baby bottles become cloudy when the plastic reacts with an ingredient found in the water. Plastic baby bottles are made from polyethylene or polypropylene and are made to hold liquids. These compounds are used because they are clear and can be easily molded into countless shapes. So it is recommended to use the glass baby bottles with silicon nipple.
Washing baby bottle nipple in very hot water or microwaving for longer time can effect its shape and condition.
What are some of the best ways to clean cloudy baby bottle nipples
There are a few different ways that you can clean cloudy baby bottle nipples.
- One of the most effective ways to clean the clouds from bay bottle nipples is to first soak the bottle nipples in a mixture of baking soda for ten minutes, then use a toothbrush to scrub each nipple.
- Another method is to boil them for 2 minutes and then rinse with water before letting them dry on a clean dishcloth.
- The latter method is said to be much less abrasive on the nipple material, but if you have time for boiling over-soaking then go for it!
How do you get the cloudiness out of baby bottles?
Cloudiness in baby bottles can be caused by a build of soap scum and minerals from use of the hard water.
To remove the cloudiness, add one tablespoon of vinegar, then a quart of hot water, shake, and let the solution stand overnight.
The next day, rinse thoroughly with simple water, Clean the entire bottle with a bottle cleaner to ensure there are no soap or food particles left behind.
How do you clean discolored bottle nipples?
Discolored nipples are most commonly caused by residue left on the bottles from air and moisture as well as from the use of non-recommended cleaning solutions.
The appearance of these nipples can be improved by following these steps:
- Wash the nipple with very hot water and dish soap, followed by a thorough rinse.
- Boil the nipple for 3-5 minutes in a large pot of water.
- Let the nipple air dry. This can take a while because the nipples are usually dry.
- If the nipple still appears discolored, you can try soaking it in a solution of ¼ cup of white vinegar and ¼ cup of water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse well. When used according to the recommendations, Dr. Brown’s wide-neck nipples are designed to be compatible with major commercial and homemade baby bottle cleaning products.
Why do baby bottle teats go cloudy?
Baby bottle teats can become cloudy for multiple reasons:
- If you have frozen your baby’s bottle, simply thawing the bottle will make the teat clear again.
- Some teats become cloudy if the moisture content in the bottle is too high. This can be caused by the baby’s saliva being too high, or if your baby favors a certain position when he/she feeds. You can try to remedy this by increasing the airflow by using a different teat or trying a vented bottle. Some babies like drinking from a bottle in that position because it is easier to swallow.
- If your baby has a cold, it can lead to the baby suddenly rejecting a teat that has always been fine. If this happens, try giving him a bottle with a different teat.
- The teat can become cloudy if you have cleaned it with a teat cleaner that is too strong. Try cleaning the teat with warm soapy water instead.
- If you leave the teats in the dishwasher, they can become cloudy. Always wash them by hand, otherwise.
- If you have been using your teats for a long time, they can become worn. It is best to replace a teat if you have been using it for more than 3 months.
How do you whiten yellow bottle nipples?
Although everyone knows it’s necessary to wash and sterilize bottles and nipples after every use, constant use and washing can cause nipples to discolor and even become a little dingy.
Mix 2 drops of dawn with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Add enough water to make a thin paste and scrub the inside of the nipple with that paste. Rinse with soap and water.
For many people, one of the most frustrating parts of having a baby is figuring out how to clean cloudy baby bottle nipples. We hope that this article has been of some help to you and that you now have a better understanding of the best way to clean those pesky, hard-to-reach baby bottle nipples.
If you have any other questions about cleaning baby bottle nipples, please contact us anytime.
Thank you for reading!