Baby Bassinet vs Cradle | Difference and Safety Standard
This article will give you a clear overview of bassinet and cradle, we will discuss the comparison of Bassinet vs Cradle, differences, similarities, and safety measures of both baby products. There are different types of baby products for sleeping are available in the market and most parents confuse in choosing from bassinets, cribs, and cradles. So this article will answer all queries regarding cradle and bassinet and will clear all your confusion.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that parents and babies must sleep in the same room for the first six months. So you can use the cradle or bassinet for this purpose. And these baby products are very handy for feedings and diaper changes during the nighttime.
Difference between Bassinet and Cradle:
Following are some key difference between Cradle and bassinet:
Difference between Bassinet and Cradle
|Normally you can use bassinet for co-sleeping||Whereas you may miss this feature in Cradle|
|Usually no rocking motion||Rocking movement/motion is available in cradle.|
|Usually bassinets are portable and easy to move around in the home.||You can move cradle as well but it is a little difficult as compare to bassinet|
Image of Bassinet
Image of Cradle
|Due to short high you can easily place your baby in it.|
|Wheels are attached for easy movement||Usually no wheels|
What is bassinet?
Let start from the bassinet, it is a small cozy space normally made in the oval shape for newborn babies and normally you can use it for up to 6 months. Bassinet has the protected wall in the oval shape around the bed, some bassinet can be attached with parents bed and can be used for cosleeping. Bassinets resemble like baskets made out of cane/wicker with a hood and legs. Bassinet is used as a sleeping products for babies and comes in different sizes and designs with comfortable and soft sleeping pads. The sleeping area in the bassinet is around 2 to 2.5 feet which is perfect for newborns. Bassinets usually highlight with beautiful elements like a hood, ruffles, or cushioned sides, and some models of bassinet have stationary legs, while others may have wheels. You can move the bassinet inside the room very easily as most of them have a wheel or they are very lightweight.
How to Buy a Bassinet
You can consider the following guideline while purchasing the bassinets:
- Check out its walls, normally made up of either mesh or but some sort of fabric is better. Because your baby may sleep with his face to the wall of the bassinet.
- A bassinet is specially used for sleep so check its mattress should be comfortable and there should not be thin gaps between the walls of the bassinet and mattress.
- Consider your baby’s size and weight before making the buy. Different size and weight limits are mentioned against each bassinet, you can review these details before buying.
- Don’t buy a baby bassinet which is controversial or already have a lot of negative rating.
What is Cradle?
Whereas a cradle is like a traditional baby swing almost similar to a baby bassinet but its distinctive feature is that you can generate the manual rocking movement in the cradles. And rocking is the main and attractive feature of the cradles, this natural movement the babies to sleep early. Most studies proved that using cradle can result in an increase in the sleep time of babies. Cradle has a bigger sleeping area as compare to the bassinet and it is around 3 to 3.5 feet. A modern example of cradle is SNOO you can view it here.
If your cradle shape is like a crib then you may need to buy an extra mattress for bedding. Check out our list of best cribs for short moms.
How to Buy a Cradle
Cradle with high rocking movement must be avoided because they can be dangerous or there should be an option to block the higher rocking movement.
You check the rocking level of Cradles, as they have different levels of rocking.
Your baby can be seriously injured, if your baby rolls strongly with the walls of the cradle. So keep this aspect in mind while purchasing the cradle.
Bassinet and Cradle Safety Guidelines
You are aware that the implementation of safety guidelines in baby products is extremely strict in the USA. Few baby products like crib wedges are controversial to some extent, but most of the baby product comply with safety guidelines and recommendations and most of the experts believes that bassinets and cradles are safe to use.
- You can adopt the more safety measures with these products in the following ways to improve the safety and minimize the risks:
- Make sure when your baby is in bassinets or in the cradle there is nothing in it like toys, pillow etc
- Put your baby in a way that he sleeps on her back.
- Keep the weight limit of baby products while using these products. Fisher-Price Baby Swing weight limit
- Keep your pets away from your cradle and bassinet, as your baby can fall down if they hit with these items hard.
- If you understand these precepts, bassinets or cradles are perfectly safe for your babies.
Which items to choose?
Normally bassinets and cradles are used for a similar purpose and they are know sleeping products, if you require something that you can comfortably move around in different rooms with wheels then you may buy a bassinet. The most important aspect is baby safety so make sure that your baby product meets all the most recent safety standards. Also, consider the room space while choosing these baby items, bassinet can be adjusted in less space, but not much more space required for a cradle. obviously price is also an important factor, different designs of bassinet and cradles are available in the market with different price tags, so you have much freedom to choose the best one according to your requirements.
I hope this is informative for and I would like to thank-you for reading this..!