How to hang a swing from a tree
In this article, we have shared the easiest and safest method on how to hang a baby swing from a tree.
By using these methods you can hang a baby swing from the tree easily and you can place a swing from a tree in the best way like a professional😎😊
Outdoor Baby Swings are a great source of joy for infants. We have covered almost all the important aspects to hang a swing from a tree easily and safely. We shared all details according to proper measurements and safety protection. Surely, this information will help you a lot to hang a swing from a tree.
Tips to choose an accurate tree for hanging swing:
For hanging a baby swing from a tree first step is to select an accurate tree for swing hanging.
Suitable trees for hanging swing:
Normally outdoor swings for bigger babies have required a tree to hang. For this purpose mainly hornbeam, sycamore, beech, maple, and oak trees could confidently use for hanging swings if they are available in your garden.
These trees are very safe for baby swinging. Because all these trees are mostly tall, strong, thick, and can bear different climatic changes easily.
Unsuitable Trees hanging swing:
Pine, poplar, willow, silver birch, fir, and larch trees are not good for hanging swing. All Fruits trees are also unsuitable for hanging swing.
Accurate Location of tree for hanging swing:
Select a tree that has a maximum free swaying area in 4 sides of the swing. It means no other tree, wall, heavy falling branch, water pool, or any other thing should not have in way of the swing. If a place is not the free minimum of 6 feet on all sides then it is not a safe place for hanging a swing from a tree.
If you have not such space then you can create an accurate location for hanging swing by yourself by removing easily removable items from the place. (For example; you can remove branches of nearby trees to make your area clear.
How to judge a tree is it strong enough for a swing?
Don’t select a tree for baby swing without testing it thoroughly. You will not select a tree only seeing it apparently strong.
The following steps will help you great to determine the inner structure of a tree.
- Hit from hummer on the trunk and on different parts of the tree.
- Sound will indicate what kind of tree is it. Avoid a tree that is hollow inside.
- Check a tree thoroughly from roots to tips. You can use a ladder to check trees from upside. But use the ladder carefully and safely.
- Examine the tree properly. Specially branches connection with trunk should strong.
- Branches joining with the main limb should not cracked or weak.
- If you find any signs of pests, cracks, and hollows in tree. When it is not safe for hanging swing.
- If the tree has extra dry woods avoid this tree.
- Tree leaning towards the ground should also avoid.
So tall, straight, free from infections, and a tree with strong and long branches is very safe for hanging baby swing.
Choose a strong branch for hanging swing
The selection of a tree mainly depends on the size strength and width of tree branches. As swing will hang through a branch so choose such branch which is stocky and long.
How thick does a tree branch need to be for a swing?
Choose the branch for swing very carefully, as the branch will bear all the load of the swing. Mostly the branch which is at least 8 inches wide or thick will be best for hanging a baby swing. Evaluate the tree branch keenly.
- Choose a healthy branch. Which have no plant infection, bugs, pests, etc.
- Branch Connection with tree should sturdy.
- Don’t use a splitting, broken, and leaning branch for hanging swing.
- If a tree branch is used for hanging swing in the past. Then don’t try it again. Due to friction of rope branch became weak.
Fall zone of tree swing:
Only the perfect tree and branch are not enough for installing a swing. But the area under tree should also safe for babies. Try to avoid the solid floor or hard surface. Different materials are available in the market to create a soft surface for baby swinging. You can create soft surfaces by putting sand, leaves rubbish, rubber mats etc. Grass or normal soft bare earth of your garden is also safe.
What is the fall zone?
Fall zone is called to the surrounding area of children’s equipment like (slide, swing, seesaw, jungle gym, etc). Means a selected area around the children’s equipment. This place should be clear. No other equipments should place in that area. Special Surface creates in this area which safe the babies from injury if they fall from any equipment. The Fall zone is different according to the equipment type.
Different methods to hanging a swing from a tree
1. How to hang a baby swing from a tree with a rope:
Baby swing hanging from a rope is best. A rope hanging swing has less weight over branch comparatively heavy chains hanging swings. Maximum swings available in markets are easily hang by rope. Rope can be attached from hooks, straps, eye blots, metal chains. Almost swing seats can be hung through rope easily.
For hanging the swing with the rope, you may require the following things:
- polypropylene rope
- Mostly outdoor baby swings don’t require fixing rope with a swing seat. As the rope is already attached to the swing seat. You will only fix the rope with a branch.
- Measure how much rope you have required according to branch height and knots.
- Use a ladder to reach the branch. Take one side of the rope first, fold the rope make a loop, and tie it up on a branch. Before tighten it check the swing height from the ground. If it is correct. Tight the rope properly.
- Your swing on one side is attached to the branch.
- To tie up second side rope. Repeat the same process with the second side as well.
- Now set the swing rope and knot it.
- If you are using a wood seat swing or wood board swing when you need to knot it from under the swing seat as well.
- But commonly plastic baby swing seat only needs to attach the branch.
- Some swings have hooks. Directly make knot on branch. Add hook in knot. close the hook clip. Tighten the rope.
- Don’t add a chain swing directly to the branch add a rope knot to the chain and add with rope from the branch.
2. How to hang a baby swing from a tree using a bowline knot
Bowline knot commonly used to hang a baby swing. As it provides a strong and lasting grip to the swing rope
The bowline knot method is also simple. The bowline knot is used for hanging swings from trees. This knot can be added directly to the branch. It can be add in middle to attach a rope to the branch. It can use to join a chain of swing. You will add it according to your swing seat or hanging material. ( rope, chain, straps) Through pictures, you can easily create a bowline knot. (red color line showing from where the rope will pass)
First, adjust the swing height from the ground according to your swing or baby’s age. Take the proper distance between the trunk and rope knot at least 36 to 60 inches from the trunk.
Step 1: Put the rope above the branch and create a loop according to the picture.
Step 2: Move the edge of the rope from the double loop.
Step 3: Move it back to the standing rope.
Step 4: Move it from the loop again.
Step 5: Behold the standing edge of the rope and then tighten it by a pull from the second edge of the rope which is passing through the rope.
Step 6: The bowline knot is ready.
For this type of swing, you will adjust the height of the swing from the ground. Then add a knot to the branch. For board swing or a swing seat without the rope, you will add and adjust the bowline knot to branch first. Then you will add a knot under the swing seat.
Hang a swing from the tree without damaging the tree
3. How to hang a baby swing from a tree using eyebolt:
It is the best way as you can hang a swing from the tree without damaging the tree branch. Eye blot method swing works efficiently for a long time.
Hanging swing through eye blot is quite easy and safe. Because with rope friction the tree branch may become weak. So it is a professional and safe way of hanging swing from the tree. With this method, you can also hang a baby swing indoors.
First of all, collect all material which will be need for this method
- Best quality rope according to blot size
- 2 eye blots 5/16 size is better for 8 inches branch (This size may vary based on the size of branch)
- 2 Washer
- 2 nuts
- drilling machine
- As with other methods, you will take a proper distance from the trunk.
- First of all, select the two points keeping proper space for fixing the eye bolt.
- For keeping balance Space should larger than swing size.
- Make hole according to eye blot size on selected points.
- Before adding blots on branch holes. Adjust the swing seat at the proper height.
- After setting swing make a tight knot of rope and put the eye blot in knot.
- Then adjust the rope in blot and put eye blot in hole and shank eye blot incompletely in it.
- Then add washer and nut. Tight it very well and the swing is ready now.
- You can install hook in eye blot also. If you will add-hook. When you should use the best quality hook.
- You will add-hook in blots and add a knot of rope in it. Then close the hook. After tighten the rope. You will add washers and nuts and tighten the eye blots.
- If you are using tire swing then you will make one hole.
- Mattel chain swing will also hang from tree by using eye blots.
4. How to hang a baby swing from a tree using straps:
Hanging a swing with Straps are easy to and also easy to remove from tree comparatively other methods.
Most easiest way to hang a baby swing is to hang a swing from the tree using straps. Nowadays different types of swings can be hang by straps. Varies straps kits are available online and in markets. From which you can hang a baby swing without spending much effort and time. Buy a good quality strap according to your swing type, the weight limit of your baby, and the swing weight limit. Straps can be added with almost modern and traditional swing styles. They work best for both style swings.
Different straps are in the market. Size, color, weight limit, price, quality, and company may differ. But the hanging or installing straps method is almost the same. Step by step pictures with description makes it easier for you to hang a baby swing from the tree by using straps.
Step 1: One side of the strap is consists of a D ring and the other side ring and karabiner. Put the D side of the strap on the branch in a way that is shown in the picture.
Step 2: Pass the D ring from the other karabiner ringside. By pulling down the karabiner ringside. Tight the strap strongly.
Step 3: If you want to make the strap short loop or double it on the branch.
Step 4: Simply add the swing rope to the carabiner. Your swing is ready to swing.
Safety measure while hanging a baby swing with Tree:
- To stop the rope edges from fraying simply give it heat from lighter for half a minute. Then press the warm rope edge. (use hand gloves for protection). It will keep safe the rope from fraying.
- Keep inspecting the rope if it became lost, you need to tighten it again.
- Change the rope if it starts fraying.
- Protect from extreme weather conditions. It will increase the life of your swing set.
- Don’t use the same branch for hanging swing for a very long time. It will not only completely damage the branch, rather it is not safe as well.
- Change the rusted eye blots immediately.
- Sometimes branch cracked due to load and ribbing of rope. If the tree branch cracked. Change cracked tree branch as soon as possible.
Basic measurement to hang a swing from a tree safely:
To hang swing with tree safely has first priority for parents. It is essential to follow the steps according to proper calculation. Almost all measurements will be the same in all methods. According to swing or baby age, some calculations may vary. In short, all these details will be enough for all methods of hanging a baby swing from the tree safely.
Trunk size for hanging swing: trunk size should be a minimum of 8 inches wide or thick
Distance between swing and trunk: maximum distance 36 to 60 inches
Swing height from the ground: height for babies and elders will be different. For small babies maximum height not up to 12 inches. However, according to swing you may less or raise the height level. But most suitable average height will be
- Height for babies and toddlers: 12 to 16 inches.
- Height for elder babies: minimum 24 inches.
Fall zone for a baby swing: fall zone of swing minimum 6 feet
How much weight can a tree branch hold: according to experts a strong 8 inches branch can take 900 pounds weight.
Swing selection: You will choose the best quality outdoor baby swing according to your baby’s age and weight.
Rope selection: Get good quality rope twisted polypropylene rope or braided polypropylene ropes are super best for hanging swing from a tree.
Why hanging a swing from the tree is useful?
Outdoor swings are a great source of enjoyment for babies and placing swings from the tree makes this enjoyment double. By hanging a swing from the tree you will create an activity for babies to spend time in nature.
The natural environment has countless blessings. Spending some time daily in a natural environment is very effective for the human mind and body.